Friday, September 11, 2009

Reflection Run Recap

Thanks to all who ran this morning. Thanks to Wardo for bringing the flag. It's always an honor to take a turn and carry with the USA Flag. Incredible feeling.

I've told this story before, eight years ago on 9/11 I went out for a run in the afternoon thinking it would make me feel better about the morning events. It ended up being the most lonely and sad run ever. I couldn't wait to get home with my family and friends. If I can help it, I will never run alone on that date again and be with friends like you. Just like this morning!!

Higg

4 comments:

azspeedgoat said...

Well said Higgie, that was awesome this morning. A great group, a great sunrise and looking back at the flag runnning up the trails gave me chills.

Anonymous said...

Great run Kevin and great idea. I was again surprised just as I was last year at how moving it is to do that which seems so simple. "Reflection Run" is the perfect tag because I can't carry that banner without the gravity of our history good and bad seeping in, the thoughts of those that serve(d) and sacrifice(d) so much, the sheer joy and responsibility of being free, the absurdity and humility of STRUGGLING to carry it while running giving rise to thoughts of those that died for it or were innocent victims of those that defy/hate what it stands for. This morning was an awesome quiet observance and I felt everyone's reverence which was really cool . . . a time to shut up so sorry for going on, but thanks to you guys for showing, very special. Good job Higgie.

Higg said...

Thanks Anonymous!

Jamil said...

Thanks for organizing the run Higgie. My friends and I were on top of the world trade center south tower in late July, 2001. It was quite a shock on September 11th. In the grand scheme of things, that wasn't much time at all. It was good to be able to run and reflect on being there so close to what happened.